Saturday, July 24, 2010

Checking Out Puna's Seascape

Late in the afternoon today we decided to go check out the geothermal pool and tidepools right down the street from our house. On the drive down we spotted this stand and decided food was in order. Both Chris and I decided on the Reindeer Dog. The owner of the stand said that he got his reindeer from a friend of his in Alaska. I already knew I'd be ok with reindeer since I had some for the first time in Norway. My final verdict on the reindeer dog: I liked it better than a regular all-beef one! Yum :)

REINDEER DOG ON A WHOLE WHEAT BUN

We continued our journey, now feasting on reindeer dog. I wanted to take the road less traveled so we veered down Pahoa-Pohoiki Rd. Eventually the road narrowed into a single-lane roadway (Yet still better maintained than roads on Oahu - something Chris and I have been talking about - we have yet to fine a poorly maintained road on the Big Island). It was a beautiful drive lined with mango and hala (Screw pine) trees that are protected by county ordinance (Drive slowly so not to hit the trees signs warn us.). I had just finished reading an article on the Hawaiian art of ulana, the art of plaiting using the hala, so I had a special appreciation for the drive.

After about 20 more minutes of driving - we overshot Ahalanui Park...Chris blames my poor navigation skills (whatever) - we pulled into the parking lot for Kapoho tide pools. The official name is "Wai Opae Tide Pools Marine Reserve." Chris decided to snorkel, while I wanted to roam around and take pictures.


WAI OPAE TIDE POOLS
SPLASHDOWN...OR CHRIS' LESS THAN GRACEFUL ENTRY

CRYSTAL CLEAR WATERS

ONE MORE TIDE POOL PICTURE

Chris said there's fish and some amazing blue coral. I need to get myself a mask and snorkel so that I can join him! The water was a little chilly for Chris and we didn't have the benefit of the sun (it was 4:30pm) so we packed it in and headed for Ahalanui Park, my original intended destination. Less than 5 minutes later we were pulling into Ahalanui Park which was quite nice with covered picnic areas and nicely manicured grass.

We walked down a nice paved sidewalk that opened up into a natural pool. When the original builders constructed it the pool was cold, but the 1955 and 1963 eruptions turned it into a warm geothermal pool. It is fed by ocean water and the spring. We sank in and it was heaven. The water was so clear, you could see right to the bottom (about 4.5/5 ft deep in most parts)! The bottom layer of the pond remains colder than the top and you have to swim around until you find the right mix, but we soaked for an hour before we headed home. Chris is already ready to return tomorrow!

ME FLOATING IN AHALANUI POOL
CHRIS GIVES IT TWO THUMBS UP
AHALANUI GEOTHERMAL POOL


Finally it was time to head home. So we rode off into the sunset (See picture at left)...can you believe this road is a highway??? Yup, that's Route 137 :)

Can't wait to return and can't wait to bring other people to experience it for themselves!

1 comment: