Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nature's Bounty

This morning I peeked out my front window to find some random truck parked in front of my house. Being the true East Coaster that I am, I pushed that "Aloha spirit" aside and convinced myself that some psycho was casing our house for a potential robbery (seriously, I had this thought). Than I saw Chris come wandering around the side of this strange truck with a large stick in hand and he's jabbing at the trees.

Truck belonged to "Jesus Freak" aka neighborly Michelle (Jesus Freak is a large window decal) and stick was one of those fruit-picking contraptions. In keeping with the characters Chris had told me I'd meet in Puna, Michelle is a former social worker with CPS who spent some time teaching and now is trying to start a motorcycle club and enjoys roaming the neighborhood looking for fruit. Neat!

Chris was very excited about the prospect of fruit and went poking around our new yard. Here's what we found!
CHRIS WITH OUR FIRST FRUIT FROM THE YARD

(Chris would like you to know that this is him with his "testicle" and that avocado comes from the word "testicle" - clearly I will limit his contributions to the blog ;p)

3 comments:

  1. Ha! You should google sexual orientation of the avacado and you'd be amazed at the background. (The avocado had an ancient reputation for inducing sexual prowess. The Aztecs, whose name for the avocado was ahuacatl, which means testicle, used the avocado as a sex stimulant and believed so deeply in its sexual nutrients that virgin women were forbidden to leave their houses during avocado harvest days) I was addicted to eating avocados when I first got here and was interested in the health benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I totally saw your comment Claudia...no kidding. Hm, I'm sure you were eating the avocados for the "health benefits" ;P I'm going to start eating more avocado!

    ReplyDelete