Saturday, July 17, 2010

OhMyGod

Today Chris and I tried Boogie Woogie Pizza in Pahoa. We ordered a large pepperoni and a calzone. While we waited for it to cook we went strolling around the neighborhood to see what was around. Our first stop was to The Pahoa Museum. I'm not sure why Pahoa has a museum, but we wandered in and were immediately followed in by the owner. He proceeded to chat with us for a very long 15 minutes. Neither one of us could understand him very well because he mumbled, rambled and according to Chris was definitely high off of more than one substance. He looked like a grizzled old pirate - he had a bright yellow aloha shirt, shaved head, a face that looked like he had lived quite a bit and a giant hoop earring in his left ear!

He told us all about how he gets all the ladies because he's a musician. He had a band coming in that evening and they were "crap" but it was because they hated that he sang with them and when you are either very smart, very talented or very beautiful, people will get jealous and he was all three!

He also told us the very long and convoluted story about his upbringing - he was Jewish and had a rich father who was unhappy, but he had done everything wrong and he was happy. He loved European women and lots of random bits about his kids. We learned his life story over one of his "million dollar idea" which was very poorly made fruit sorbet. (Thank goodness we didn't have to pay for it!)

The reason I'm writing about this guy is because I think this is the type of character Chris said I'd meet in Pahoa. Case in point: when Chris asked him his name this is what we got in response: "I call myself 'OhMyGod' - it's not my real name, but I changed my name in January. The greatest teacher of them all once asked his student, 'What is your name?' and the student replied 'I have no name.' Brilliant. So call me OhMyGod."

WHAT?!?!

Needless to say, I was more than happy when a family of hapless tourists wandered in and we could make our escape.

We wandered around town and found a used bookstore that has an extremely healthy selection of sci-fi novels, so Chris is definitely happy! There's a really terrible video rental place - thank goodness for Netflix! And then stopped at the Pahoa Cash and Carry. (Which really confused me because I tried to tell Chris I had no cash and neither did he. He just laughed at me...but really you'd THINK that a place called "Pahoa Cash and Carry" would only take cash right? Or am I the only one that takes it so literal?)

On our way back to pick up the food we ran into...a harpist on the sidewalk. I wish it hadn't decided to suddenly start pouring so I could have gotten a picture. Really random running into a huge harp being strummed by some dude outside the Mexican bar.

Guess that's Pahoa for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment