Sunday, February 5, 2012

For Mom: Mongoose

Back in 2006 I had moved to Hawaii and my mother came to visit me. We visited the Big Island where I was asleep when the earthquake hit. The story of that experience has sparked one of my many anecdotes that result in me being mercilessly teased in the Wong family. I was asleep when the earthquake hit. I was woken up by a shaking that I first thought was my mother shaking the bed. This was odd in and off itself, but when I opened my eyes I saw that the room was violently shaking. Realizing it was an earthquake, I can clearly remember thinking: "I should spread out so that if I fall maybe the impact will be worse." I was thinking like I was some flying squirrel with webbing between my appendages which I alas I do not have. Once the rumbling was over I went downstairs and found my mother in the lobby. She asked if I had felt the earthquake and I said that I had been woken up by it. She wanted to leave and I asked if I could take a shower first. Now I get teased that there could've been a tsunami from the 6.7 earthquake but Kristen wanted to take a shower first. Har har...

Anyway, the real reason for this post is that I was introduced to my mother's bizarre fascination with mongoose. For the rest of our trip on the Big Island she was dashing away in full pursuit of a picture of a mongoose.

There's tons of mongoose where I live now and I see them all the time - crossing the road, in my backyard, as road kill. When my mother visited this past fall she didn't see one, but here's the big one that hangs out in my yard....pictures just for you mom!


Making a mess on the porch (my fault for temporarily leaving the garbage out there until Chris got home with the truck):


No comments:

Post a Comment