Monday, September 27, 2010

Kristen's Lack of Impulse Control....

Leads to the purchase of a Big Shot die cut machine...which is FABULOUS! But is rapidly (already!) turning out to be a costly new toy. (Is it possible to spend $50+ on paper? Why yes, because I did it this weekend!)

I haven't been updating a lot lately since work is sucking the life out of my life. Really. But I got lots to write about - I never even finished the entries from Michelle's visit!!!

So, back to my lack of impulse control. I went down to Ben Franklin Craft store to get three paints (At $1.37 each...this should have been a quick and economical trip). But then they were having their annual Paper Party where you could "Make-and-Take" projects. I watched one table make this really neat box and I decided I wanted to make one. Everything was made on the Big Shot die cut. While chatting with Sandy, the employee manning the box craft table, she recommended I try Margaret's station which showed another technique using die cuts. So then I meandered over to the other craft table. Here are the results of the start on my Big Shot journey:



The Big Shots were on sale, as well as the dies for 20% off. I suppose it was the confluence of all the things I'm trying to avoid in being a fiscally conservative and responsible consumer:
1. Impulse buy
2. "I Want" rather than "I Need"
3. Buying because it's a "deal" (Although, really it was!)

Needless to say, I totally caved and bought one. The sale was only for one day! It was now or never! I know. I know. I'm smart enough to know the truth - it was my lack of impulse control, plain and simple.

BUT, I have already made good use of it. I spent the weekend making little gifts for my faculty to go along with my "leka aloha" or letter of introduction. The leka aloha is something that I learned as part of the Kahua (culturally-based) mentoring program and it seems really powerful. Plus, I'm realizing that after 2 months at my new school - people don't seem to realize I'm a person, not this talking head that's chattering at them about interventions, RTI, documentation, etc. Here's some of the crafts I made:

HIBISCUS CARDS

NEW BLUE FLOWER CARDS

NEW PURPLE FLOWERS CARDS


POST-IT HOLDER


POST-IT HOLDER

I actually made a bunch of the post-it holders, but my exposure setting on the camera was up really high, so I need to retake the pictures and post the others. These aren't even the nicer ones I think!

Everyone at work seems shocked that I made these. At first, I realized people thought I had bought them. Then I had to explain that I had painted and made them all. Now I'm getting told from multiple people that I should sell them at craft fairs. But I find it hard to believe that people would actually buy my stuff!

1 comment: