Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Day Nothing Went Right

Last Tuesday I was really sick, but I had so much to do so I was determined to work through it. First I had to drive to work to test a little kindergartner. The plan was for me to be about 30 minutes late for my training, but the little one was giving me a hard time with testing and I ended up being almost an hour late! The training was at Chris' school. I walked in and basically walked out a few minutes later - the training was nothing I hadn't already been trained on (Luckily the resource teachers are really cool about recognizing that I don't need all the trainings). I went to Chris' classroom to say 'hi' before I went back to work. But Chris wasn't there. I sat and waited for awhile when he returned...all trembling from adrenaline and covered in red stuff that looked suspiciously like blood.

Chris had gotten into a restraint with a kid and somehow the kid's blood got all over Chris' shirt. I went home to get him a new shirt while he dealt with the police. By the time I had returned, his administration had told him to go home. Since we only had one car, the plan was that I would drive him home then go back to work for a meeting I had.

On the way home, Chris stopped at 7-Eleven and promptly spilled some old coffee all over his seat. He was pretty annoyed and tried to mop it up. He slammed the door shut and promptly realized that he had locked both of our keys in the one remaining car we had. We had 5 miles to walk. I suggested going to our local police station - which is kind of a little cottage (Being generous) - since it was right next door. So we saunter into the police station. It's only after we walk in and get several looks from the two police officers behind the counter that we realize Chris is still in his bloody shirt. They weren't about to help us, but then a police officer who had arrested one of Chris kids the day before walked out and recognized Chris. He asked Chris what had happened and then promptly offered us a ride!

We hop into the police car and head home. After thanking the nice officer we both realized we needed to get into the house. Commence Operation Break-into-Your-Own-House! We found a knife and cut out a screen. Then we popped out some of the glass panes and I slithered into the house to unlock the door from within. And now I've explained to the world how to break into our house...

After that whole ordeal, it didn't even look like I could get back in time for my meeting. So I had to call up my school and coach my people on how to run the meeting (the way I like them done), complete with an email script!

Chris returned, truck and all. He experienced the kindness of Puna. As he was walking on the side of the road, completely oblivious because of his iPod, some lady practically ran him off the road. She offered him a ride back to town. He didn't even have his thumb out to hitchhike! She just offered!

So I suppose it's incorrect to say that nothing went right because for everything that went wrong, it seemed like something went right!

Chris got sent home from school...I happened to be at his school
Chris locked the car keys in the car...A cop recognized him and drove us to the house
Chris had to walk back to town to get the car...Some lady picks him up and drives him to town

No comments:

Post a Comment