Sunday, January 23, 2011

So THAT'S why it's called Mt. View!

So you'd think that after the last few months I'd realize WHY my school was called Mt. View...well just last week I realized it when I looked out the door of my office and saw this:


Not a bad view huh? It's hard to see, but there's snow on the top of Mauna Kea. There's actually been a lot of snow on Mauna Kea - even more than what you might be able to make out in this picture. You can drive up and see the snow if you have 4WD and go really early. I know, hard to believe, but yes, we actually get snow in Hawai'i. Lately there's been snow on Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Haleakala on Maui. If you step just outside my office door you can also see Mauna Loa. Mauna Loa has just a dusting of snow on top of it.

Every morning when we drive up the highway to school, Chris and I have some amazing views of the mountain. On really clear days you can see the observatories on the top! Someday soon Chris and I will have to take a snow day in Hawai'i and head on up!

No comments:

Post a Comment