Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Goodyear Curse





A few days ago I went to Goodyear because I REALLY needed to get new tires. I had gotten an oil change not long ago and the mechanic called me over to look at my nearly-treadless tires (Yikes!). I had done some research....uh perhaps I called every tire place on the island to compare...and decided to go with Goodyear since I could walk to do my errands while waiting. I didn't realize it would take over 3 hours, but I was able to kill most of the time by walking around Hilo.

I found this nice little park near the East Hawaii Cultural Center where I take lessons on Wednesday evenings. It's dedicated to the Korean War vets. You can't really see, but by the big tree it's built like a little amphitheater with tiny levels (not many). There were also pretty lilies in the water.


WATER LILIES

I returned to Goodyear since their lounge was air conditioned and Hilo has suddenly turned hot lately. After hanging out in the lounge and re-reading a pretty bad book, I decided to go across the street to Starbucks. I had grabbed a drink and a sandwich and was trying to wait for a break in the cars so I could jaywalk back to Goodyear when this guy comes up to me and proceeds to ask me if I was "Stacey Botichello." Here's a replay of the conversation:

Him: "Excuse me are you Stacey Botichello?"
Me: No {Thinking - I'm Asian, do I look like I would have a last name Botichello???}
Him: Are you related to a Botichello
Me: No {Thinking - Is this seriously his line?}

He proceeds to talk at me for another few seconds while I completely ignore him and crane my neck out into the street to wait for the cars to slow down (of COURSE it would happen to get busy then).

Him: So, what are you doing later today?
Me: I have a boyfriend {Thinking = Go away you creep!}
Him: Oh! I probably should've asked that first! How's that going?
Me: Uh, we've been together for 5 years. {Thinking - "How's that going?" You think I"m going to cheat on my amazing boyfriend for a clueless idiot like you????}
Him: So can I have your number?
Me: NO! {As I leap into traffic regardless of if there's a gap in cars - and do manage to get temporarily stranded in the middle of a 4 lane road}

So I safely arrive at Goodyear and promptly call Chris than my mother. After getting off the phone I turn around and DARNNIT - the loser has followed me and is standing behind me. I try to talk to him without actually talking to him as I wait for my car to be done. To my great misfortune, not only is it not done after three hours, I'm told it will be another half an hour. UGH!!!! I chat desperately with the elderly guy at the counter until my car is ready.

Finally the car is pulled up by the entrance and I see creepy loser on his cell phone outside. I dash out hoping to avoid him and as I'm closing the door he comes over and GRABS MY DOOR.

Him: Can I have your number?
Me: Sorry, NO! {Thinking - is this guy completely idiotic???}
Him: Can I have your email address?
Me: NO! I have to go! {Slam my door and charge out of the parking lot.}

Now, this is only extra bad because the last time I went to Goodyear on Oahu, some guy behind asked for my number and when I said no, the guy behind the counter gave it to him after I walked out!!!!

So needless to say, Goodyear is NOT good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment