Tuesday, February 22, 2011

They'd Pay Money for It???

Hilo is a pretty small town and apparently there aren't many cake bakers. Me and my big mouth talking about my cake decorating apparently led people to believe that I had a business and in just the past week, I got asked to make two cakes (one of which is to feed 100 people - YIKES!). It's hard to believe that people would actually pay for my cakes considering I just do it for fun.

My first (and pretty major) dilemma is figuring out how much to CHARGE for a cake. Decorating cakes are pretty labor intensive, even if you eliminate the baking part. The local supermarket, KTA charges $100 for a basic sheet cake that feeds 75 and $500 for a 3-tiered, basically decorated wedding cake. I guess I have to do some research on what's the going rate around here :)

Just for fun I put all my bestest cakes on a little flier. The only one I'm missing is Abby's beach ball because I don't have a great picture of it.


Just out of curiosity, how much would YOU pay for a decorated cake?

1 comment:

  1. I've seen payment systems by the slice (2-5 dollars, depending on experience, etc.) with extra fees for things like fondant (extra dollar per slice), labor-intensive flavors, excessive decoration, top tiers, etc. I think I paid $2.50/slice for my wedding cake, but her prices are now higher (closer to 5) as her business has grown.

    ReplyDelete