Friday, July 8, 2011

Staycation

After returning from my trip east, Chris and I promptly headed to the westside for a little staycation for the 4th of July weekend. At first we wanted to stay in Kona, but I wanted to do some activities in Waikoloa, so I ended up booking a little room in Waikoloa Village. It was $55/night...not bad :)




OUR LITTLE BEDROOM AT THE LAUGHING GECKO
& THE DECK OF OUR LITTLE STAYCATION ABODE

From our house it only took an hour and a half to Waikoloa after a little detour to the Hilo Saturday Farmer's Market and a short stop in Waimea. After unloading some luggage at the Laughing Gecko, we promptly decided to spend the rest of our afternoon at the beach. I unpacked my trusted "Big Island Revealed" and we picked Mauna Kea beach. Since it was late afternoon, we pulled into the resort's tiny public beach access parking but found parking since everyone had mostly left the beach. I wasn't sure what to expect, so after trekking a few minutes down the pathway the vista opened up to a gorgeous white-golden silky sand beach with beautifully clear water. Ah! What a slice of heaven! How did we not even know that this existed on our miserable island? (Yes, I still hate living here to a fair degree - better, but not nearly close to consistently happy)

CHRIS TRYING TO CONVINCE ME TO GO FOR A SWIM

THE LOVELY MAUNA KEA BEACH (DOESN'T THIS MAKE YOU WANT TO COME VISIT???)

After a fabulous afternoon luxuriating on the beach, we headed out for dinner in Kailua-Kona. We went to a random bar we had never seen before and had a pretty not-great prime rib dinner. Before calling it a night, we headed to Safeway for some snacks for our beach day. At Safeway I discovered on sale...

CHOCOLATE WHIPPETS!

Being the good little girl that I am, we did not buy these, even if they are chocolate cookies at not nitrous oxide for huffing (or a showdog for that matter...I may not like dogs, but I watch those dog shows on Animal Planet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment